Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cake Doughnuts and Fruit Ganache

Over the weekend I got a new Dutch oven and knew it was time to fry something up. When I was younger one of my favorites things to make was a homemade cake doughnuts. I loved that dense cakey doughnut bursting with cinnamon and nutmeg, plus their FRIED!!! I used my old stand by recipe from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook and set off.

Making these doughnuts is not hard at all, but I love a challenge and wanted to make some type of fruit glaze to top the doughnuts. My first attempt started with some blueberries, milk and powdered sugar. It was looking good until I grabbed the wrong box and dumped almost a cup of cornstarch into it and it tasted like YUCK!!!

So, I moved on to trying a white chocolate strawberry ganache glaze. Now, I understand the basics of ganache and have made it many times. I went searching online for recipes for fruit ganache and pretty much came to a dead end. It seems when it comes to ganache people stick to what they know regular chocolate. I still was curious so I pureed my strawberries, dumped it into my hot cream and then poured it all over my white chocolate.

I think it came out perfect!! It started out very liquidy but after cooling down it started to thicken up. I think I will play around with it a bit more and see if I can make it even thicker, or try other fruit flavors.

White Chocolate Strawberry Ganache

Powder Sugar

The trickiest part of the whole process was making the whole in the middle. I didn't have an actual doughnut cutter, so after cutting them with my biscuit cutter I had to try and find something to poke the hole with. The dough was very sticky and made it way more complicated than necessary. Next on my kitchen gadget shopping list is this!!


2 comments:

Holly said...

It is ridiculous how good those look. It ought to be illegal for you to tempt me like this. I'm tryin' to be good, girl!! Seriously though, awesome job. Those look amazing.

Jenn Erickson said...

Hi sweet friend! I've missed you. Seems like it's been forever since I've had a chance to visit some of my favorite blogs! Your donuts look incredible! Will you be posting the recipe?