Friday, October 15, 2010

Cream Biscuits

I have a lot of cookbooks, but honestly when it comes to baking this has to be my favorite.

Every recipe I have tried from this book has been easy and come out perfect. Last night I was skimming through and decided to try their cream biscuit recipe, which looked easy.

The whole process took less than 25 minutes and most of that was sweeping up the large amount of flour I had somehow dumped all over the kitchen floor.

The biscuits use a limited amount of ingredients, but they make magic. I slathered mine with tons of honey butter and it was a great night.

Cream Biscuits

(From Baking Illustrated)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

1 Preheat oven to 425°F

2 Sift together dry ingredients, then add cream; mix until it holds together.

3 Knead for about 20-30 seconds, then press into 8 in cake pan, turn out and cut with biscuit cutter. (This is important, don't use a glass!!! You need something with a sharp edge to ensure they come out fluffy and high)

4 Bake for 15 minutes. (Better to take them out when they are slightly underdone).

5. Serve immediately

SLATHER WITH HONEY BUTTER, JAM, NUTELLA


2 comments:

Pili said...

Ooooh, they look so yummy and sound so easy! I'll have to look for that book!

Jenn Erickson said...

I couldn't agree more! My "Best Recipes" and "Baking Illustrated" -- both from Cook's Illustrated -- are my two favorite cookbooks of all time. Everything always comes out wonderful, and I learn a lot of food science in the process! I've never tried the cream biscuits recipe, but certainly will now! Have you tried the New York Crumb Cake? It's to-die-for!