Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Growing your Business - Vol. 1 "Marketing your business".

(Photo Credit: whimsylove)

I’ve decided to do a series of post about “Growing your Business” . I thinks its very important as a small business owner to find ways to make your business grow into a healthy success.

The other day I received an email from The Wedding Party Studio to see if I would be interesting in marketing my business through their company. I meet up with a rep and everything sounded great, and the advertising prices are very competitive with those in the areas, but I am still pondering if it’s a good fit for me.

This got me thinking about how to market your business. I’ve read a lot of article where small business have relied on social networking sites, Twitter, Facebook…etc to get the word out about their business. I have both, but I can honestly say the amount of business I get from these sites is relatively small (maybe I am not doing it right). The majority of my business seems to come from word of mouth or from people who have sampled something at an event I have participated at.

I really want to make successful changes with my company in 2010, and advertising and marketing is something that has been on my mind A LOT. I want to ensure I get the most for my money, but I also want to make sure I am using outlets that reach my target market (I mean advertising in “Prison Weekly” maybe cheap, but not so effective). The other issue is with edible creations you can have the best advertising, but people are going to want to taste your goodies before making a decision.


I am learning that good marketing and advertising is essential to the success and longevity of any business. I would love to know your thoughts, opinions and feedback. Also if your in business, how do you market your company.

Have a Happy Holiday!!


3 comments:

Miss Dot said...

Doing shows was the **best** for me. I baked a grip of cupcakes and had them available for tasting. I didn't worry about selling anything, really I was there for the marketing aspect. I included a sign-up list for people who wanted to receive email mailers with offers and got a bunch of potential clients that way. Shows allowed people to see how I displayed my products and taste them as well without having to invest anything. I thought they were very worthwhile and I got a lot of good business from them.

Also, do you have a Yelp! account yet? Those are free and I often got clients who found me on Yelp!

Erika from The Pastry Chef At Home said...

I learned a lot about the food business from the chocolate company I last worked for - what to do and what not to do.

As for advertising I really don't think it is of much value when it comes to small food businesses. Hiring a PR firm is much more effective because you can get mentions in local (and national!) papers and magazines.

I think that hosting events where people have the opportunity to sample your products is a great marketing strategy. Also you should definitely maintain a well managed mailing list and send out regular newsletters/offers/new product announcements.

Maybe i'm telling you things you already know...just trying to be helpful!

Wishing you an amazing and successful 2010!

DollFace Delights said...

Thank you Erika this info is super helpful!!