Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ho Ho Ho

I hope everyone had an enjoyable Christmas (or day you celebrate with your loved ones) as I did. The BF showered me with amazing gifts and I made way too much food for two people, but it was a wonderful few days. For our desserts I wanted to make something that would be small enough for us both to enjoy but not have a ton leftover. I decided to create one of my favorite retro treats Hostess Ho Ho’s.

I started out with a rich Devils Food Cake filled it with lush vanilla marshmallow cream and covered them in milk chocolate ganache with a strip of marshmallow cream on top. I found the easiest thing to do was put the batter in my cupcake tins, but only half way to get a flat top. I also put a mini cupcake liner at the bottom to help the cakes from sticking, but that plan didn’t work out as I had planned. The liners and the batter got mixed together, but luckily I was able to pull them off, plus they didn’t help the cakes from sticking, as a few stick in the pan and fell apart as I was trying to pull them out. So after being super frustrated for losing half my cakes and eating most the marshmallow cream (to relive the stress…LOL) my final outcome was this…..


I've also been thinking about my blog photos. There are quite a few blogs I stalk that have amazing pictures, check out one of my blog loves Pink Sugar Dessert and you can see what I am talking about. Last Christmas my BF got me an amazing Sony DSLR, but Its always easier for me to grab my little Fuji to shoot my pictures (losing quality sometimes). Well my goal for 2010 is to focus on creating lovely pictures for my blog.

This is what I am striving for

(Courtsey of Bakarella)

3 comments:

Rhiannon Bosse said...

awe you made my day with this post. sometime I feel like giving up and you give me such encouragement to keep going with simple words! I hope your Christmas was magical and by the sounds of it it was great. you deserve a wonderful New Year full of happiness, love and success! xox hugs to you girl!! xox

Jenn Erickson said...

I'm so glad to hear that you had a wonderful Christmas! Sorry to hear about the frustrations with the cupcakes. I've been there, and it always shakes me up a bit when things don't turn out as I envisioned. Despite the trials and tribulations, they sound super yummy! I'm a huge fan of Bakerella too! I hadn't seen this most recent creation yet. Can't wait to read more about it. Happy New Year!

Miss Dot said...

Ooo! I can't wait to see all of your fabulous new pics!!

♥HAPPY NEW YEAR!!♥