Friday, January 8, 2010

Bananas for your Birthday!

Yesterday was my darling BF birthday; you can read a little bit more here (if your curious). Well we are on this lose weight eat better kick, so baking lately has been strictly for clients. The BF kept saying I don’t want a cake, but what kind of baking mama would I be, if I didn’t surprise him with some yummy goodness.

The flavor idea came to me in the middle of traffic, so I had to do an illegal u-turn and almost take out a bird to make my way to the grocery store to pick up the supplies. From the start this cake was nothing but trouble. Since it was last minute, I didn’t have my butter soften so I had to improvise and then I kept dropping yolk in my egg whites. After almost pulling out all my hair (and this is really expensive hair…LOL) I decided to just mix everything together and shove it in the oven.
30 minutes and 350 degrees later I had a yummy moist banana cake. I filled the cake layers with a banana buttercream with chunks of bananas. Then I slathered it all up with some delicious semi-sweet ganache frosting. The cake came out so delicious and the BF was surprised and happy. We each ate (some people being better than others…NOT ME!!) a piece of cake and he took the rest with him to work to share with his co-workers


I realized after making this cake, how much I really enjoy baking and making delicious things to eat. What I mean by this, I love to see pretty cakes in all their fondant glory, but I personally just love yummy cakes slathered in yummy frostings. A little color, maybe some fun sprinkles, but just simplicity. The kind of cakes you remember your grandma making.

I use to struggle with trying to create cakes that would make the Cake Boss proud, but I realized for me, I would rather see someone smile, because they love the way my cake taste, verus how pretty is it. Maybe that is strange logic, but I am strange and from this day forward, I have vowed to put my efforts into creating the best tasting cakes I can. This means, not beating myself up anymore, because I can't make a stupid fondant rose or create perfect little hand piped decorations. My creations will be just as fun, yummy and whimisical as I am!

Happy 2010
NOTE - Please be aware that no birds were actually injured in the making of this cake!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG that looks so good. And I'm with you, I don't care how it looks on the outside, I just want that moist delicious cake!

Bubu Yaya dan Ami said...

Whoa that looks very scrumptious! Do you mind sharing the recipe, please? :D

Bubu Yaya dan Ami said...

My address is raraputridelia@gmail.com. Thanks in advance for sharing :)

Miss Dot said...

OK, I know exactly what you mean about the whole clean fondant vs. gooey frosting thing. I mean, fondant cakes are pretty, but put a good gooey frosted cake alongside a fondant one and I promise you I'll dive for the gooey one EVERY TIME. They just scream "EAT ME!!"

I think your cake sounds delicious and looks even better!!

Thank goodness you didn't hurt any birds... I was a little worried there!